The Outlook error “The Operation failed. The messaging interfaces has returned an unknown error. If the error persists, restart Outlook. Cannot resolve recipient”, may appear in Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010 or 2013 version and can be caused for several reasons. So, in this tutorial, you will find several methods to resolve it.
The error “Operation Failed. The messaging interface has returned an unknown error” in Outlook, may appear at the following cases:
1. When you try to view or to delete emails on a Outlook folder.
2. When printing an email or a calendar task.
3. When you try to create a new Outlook Profile.
How to FIX: Outlook Messaging interface has returned an unknown error. Cannot resolve recipient.
- 0.1 How to FIX: Outlook Messaging interface has returned an unknown error. Cannot resolve recipient.
- 1 Bài liên quan
Method 1. Restore Outlook Folder View.
If one or more custom views are broken, it prevents Outlook from displaying some items/folders. So, the next method to resolve the “messaging interfaces has returned an unknown error” in Outlook, is to restore all Outlook folder views to their default settings. To do that:
4. The Outlook should start normally. Check it and if the error persists, continue to next step.
Method 2. Delete Outlook Printing Style settings.
Outlook store the printing style settings in the “OutlPrnt” file. If this file is corrupted, then it may cause the “messaging interfaces has returned an unknown” problem when printing in Outlook. At this case:
4. Rename the “OutlPrnt” file to “OutlPrnt.old“.
5. Start Outlook and check if the error has resolved. (When Outlook starts, it will rebuild the “Outlprnt” file).
Method 3. Repair the Outlook Data File.
According your case, follow the instructions below, to repair the corruptions on the Outlook Data file.
Case 1: For Exchange (IMAP) Accounts (.OST)
If you ‘re using an Exchange (IMAP) account, then force Outlook to recreate the corrupted Outlook .OST file, by doing the following:
1. Close outlook.
2. Rename the OST for the account that is causing the issue.
3. Open Outlook. (Outlook will recreate the OST file).
4. If the error persists, then continue to step-2 below.
Case 2: For POP3 Accounts (PST)
If you ‘re using a POP3 account, then repair the corrupted Outlook .PST file, by doing the following:
1. Close Outlook.
2. Open Windows explorer and locate the scanpst.exe repair tool at this location: *
- C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office%OfficeVersion%SCANPST.EXE
* Location of “SCANPST.EXE” file according your Office version: *
Outlook 2013 & Outlook 2016
32-bit Windows > C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice15
64-bit Windows > C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice15
64-bit Outlook > C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice15
Click-to-Run > C:Program FilesMicrosoft Office 15rootoffice15
32-bit Windows > C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice14
64-bit Windows > C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice14
64-bit Outlook > C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice14
32-bit Windows > C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice12
64-bit Windows > C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficeOffice12
* Note: If you cannot find the “scanpst.exe” at the above location(s), then look at:
- C:Program Files (x86)Microsoft OfficerootOffice16.
3. Double-click to open the SCANPST.EXE
4. Click Browse.
5. Locate the corrupted Outlook data file (e.g. Outlook.pst) at this location:
- C:Documents and Settings%Username%Local SettingsApplication DataMicrosoftOutlookOutlook.pst
Windows 7 or Vista
* Note: In Outlook 2016, 2013 & 2010, the Outlook Data file is stored by default at:
- C:Users%Username%DocumentsOutlook FilesOutlook.pst
6. Press the Scan button and be patient until the Inbox Repair Tool repairs the corrupted file. *
* Note: At final repair phase you will be asked if you want to create a backup. Answer “Yes” to continue the repair operation.
7. When the repair process is completed, open Outlook and check if the problem “messaging interface has returned an unknown error” has resolved.
Method 4. Delete and Recreate the Outlook Profile.
The final method to resolve the “Messaging interface has returned an unknown error’ problem, is to delete and to re-create the Outlook Profile.
1. Navigate to Windows Control Panel. To do that:
a. Type “control panel” at the Windows search box
b. Click Control Panel from the results.
2. Set the View by to Small icons to view all control panel items and then click Mail.
3. Click Show Profiles. *
* Important Note: If you use more than one email account, then check if the error appears in all email accounts. If the error appears only in one account, then try to delete and re-add only the account with the problem, by using the following procedure:
a. Click the E-mail Accounts button and remove the email account with the problem.
b. Then click Data Files, and remove the Outlook data file, associated for the removed account.
c. Finally click E-Mail Accounts again, and re-add the removed email account.
4. Select the current profile and click Remove. Then click Yes to confirm your decision.
5. Then click the Add button and give a name for the profile: (e.g. “Outlook”).
6. Follow the steps in the “Add Account” wizard, to reconfigure your mail account.
7. After adding you account, open Outlook and check if the “Messaging interfaces has returned an unknown error” has resolved. *
* Note: If Outlook work well and without errors and you want to restore back the emails from the old Outlook .PST data file, follow the below instructions:
- From Outlook‘s File menu, select Open & Export > Import/Export.
- At “Choose an action to perform options, select Import from Another Program or File & click Next.
- At ‘Select file type to import from” options, select Outlook Data File (.pst) & click Next.
- At ‘File to import screen’, click Browse.
- Select the old Outlook PST file that you want to import your emails from & click Open.
- Click Next & Finish.
That’s all folks! Did it work for you?
Please leave a comment in the comment section below or even better: like and share this blog post in the social networks to help spread the word about this solution.
Bài liên quan
- Sửa lỗi Windows 10 update error 0x80080005
- Sửa lỗi Windows error code 0xc004f025 trên Win10
- Lỗi 0x80070017 trong Windows 10 đảm bảo thành công
- Lỗi 0x800701E3 trong Windows 10 và cách khắc phục
- Sửa lỗi USB 3.0 external drive not recognized in Windows 10
- Sửa lỗi The Printer Is Not Recognized Automatically khi cài đặt máy in Canon